If I still see fleas on my dog, does that mean my flea treatment isn’t working?

If you still see fleas on your dog after starting a monthly flea treatment program, it doesn’t necessarily mean the treatment isn’t working. Your dog can continue to be exposed to the fleas encountered outside, from other dogs and animals untreated pets in or around your home or by flea eggs and larvae still present inside your home. In fact, the fleas you see on your dog make up just 5% of all the fleas in your pet’s environment. The remaining 95% are in the egg, larvae and pupae stages. To eliminate these pests, vacuum frequently and steam clean carpet and upholstery where fleas like to hide. Wash bedding every week. And keep all pets protected against fleas with an approved treatment regimen from your veterinarian. Fleas can remain dormant in your house for nearly a year, so you’ve got to stay on your guard and use a flea treatment that kills fleas fast – before they can lay more eggs. Once fleas are gone, prevent further infestations from coming back by treating your dog all year round. Ask about Trifexis, the combination product that klls fleas and prevents infestations, prevents heartworm disease, and treats and controls hookworm, roundworm and whipworm infections. See the full product label for complete safety information. Serious adverse reactions have been reported following concomitant extra-label use of ivermectin with spinosad alone, one of the components of Trifexis. Treatment with fewer than three monthly doses after the last exposure to mosquitoes may not provide complete heartworm prevention. Prior to administration of Trifexis, dogs should be tested for existing heartworm infection. Use with caution in dogs with pre-existing epilepsy. The most common adverse reactions reported are vomiting, depression, itching and decreased appetite. To ensure heartworm prevention, observe your dog for one hour after administration. If vomiting occurs within an hour of administration, redose.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *