How to Pet Proof Your House


My husband and I recently had a scare with
our little dog Sophie here. She was violently sick and we didn’t know what was wrong with
her. She’s getting to be an old girl so we thought maybe her time had come. Luckily for Sophie, it ended up being a treatable
bacterial infection. But it got me thinking about all of the things our pets are exposed
to. When they’re out for a walk, or when they’re swimming in the river. Even in their own backyards
or in their own houses. So I thought that I would do a tidbit this
week about pet proofing our house. The importance of doing it and ways that you can do it. What dog does’t sniff the floor looking for
any last morsel of food. They sniff it out until they can find it. Now it may not only
be bits of food that they’re licking off the floor, it could also be residue left behind
by your floor cleaner. Hard surface cleaners can contain toxic chemicals
that may harm your dog whether immediately or over time. The solution is to use all natural
floor cleaners which would be much easier than trying to keep your furry pal from licking
crumbs from the floor. In fact a good rule of thumb is to use non-toxic,
all natural cleaners everywhere in your house. So lemons, vinegar and baking soda are excellent,
non-toxic ingredients that you can use to make your own cleaners, and they won’t harm
your pets. Pesticides and herbicides are full of toxic
chemicals too. Now as humans, we know the dangers and safety measures involved when
using these products. But dogs don’t. And often times, pesticides and herbicides are
used in the very space they frequent. Where they do their business, where they lounge
in the grass or where they play fetch. So why would you use a toxic product, and then
invite or practically force your pet to be surrounded in it? Again, all natural products are best. Or eliminate
the use of herbicides and pesticides all together. Certain indoor and outdoor plants are poisonous
to pets. Common indoor plants like poinsettias, aloe vera or asparagus ferns can be harmful.
Outdoor plants such as tomato vines, lilies, or rhubarb leaves can cause your pets to get
sick. So always check how pet friendly a plant is before you plant it or before you bring
it home. Be careful of fluids that have dripped from
your vehicle onto the garage floor. Antifreeze is a major problem because it smells sweet
and animals are attracted to it. So keep the garage floor clean at all times and store
antifreeze in closed cupboard up high so it can’t be reached. Place a rescue sticker on your door or window
will alert rescue crews or neighbours that your pet is trapped inside in an emergency
situation. Now you can completely pet proof your house
and your pet may still find something to get into. Maybe they chewed or tore apart the
cushion on the couch or maybe they decided to feast on the drywall; I’ve seen that before. Regular exercise every single day will keep
them entertained and their minds stimulated so they don’t get so bored that they have
to find their own way to entertain themselves. Like chewing up a pair of your favourite shoes. And if you’re wondering, miss Sophie bear
is doing much better and back to her silly old self. I hope you enjoyed this week’s tidbit and
if you did please like, share, sign up or subscribe to get weekly tidbits to help you
buy, sell or simply love your home. Thanks for watching.

One thought on “How to Pet Proof Your House

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *